"TOC Mockups, Process and Final Choice Elaborations"

 Introduction: For my table of contents, I decided to use most of the pictures that I had in the last blog, but also decided to use a new image because it fit well with the theme of the headline itself and what the table of contents page (TOC)was basically about. I also kept one of the layouts that I had in the previous blog but also decided to add a new one, deciding that it might match the simplicity and modern appeal to today's readers


Mockup 1: 


This is my first mockup where I decided to go with the information aspect rather than the simple look. It also contains a mix of bot pictures to not overwhelm the audience with a complete load of words to get lost in. I decided to with a bumblebee-like color scheme, showing the yellow and black colors to give the audience a clean and modern look. I decided to go with this because of these obvious reasons, and have also decided to keep many headlines, along with a good amount of text underneath. 


For the color scheme, I decided to go with yellow because of how all of my pictures were taken in the daylight, and how it would give a light look instead of having a plain white TOC page. The colors scheme was consistent throughout the whole TOC page and the colors played perfectly into each other's hands. I also kept the title of my magazine on the top of the TOC page, and kept each word a different color, showing that they are half in half. I also changed the color of the heading in the big picture, because if I had made the color black, not much of the picture would have been seen. I wanted people to hopefully not overlook the burn marks of the plant in the image. I kept it white instead of yellow to also keep the colors consistent and thought that the white text would probably be overlooked. 

Some exceptions to this are that for the exclusive headline, I did not keep the headline black and consistent, which I have reasons for and can explain further. Because that headline was also marked as exclusive, it was a major headline that I wanted people to see much more than the other headlines previewed on the page, which were mostly meant for navigation. So, for my desired outcome to be accomplished, I went and changed the color of that headline to yellow, making it suddenly more vibrant and more appealing to the reader. I even changed the font size and kept no text under it to which my readers could divert to. I even had lines between this and the rest of the headlines, showing that this was the real deal that people would want to read in this magazine.


Even though this TOC page has some questionable methods of calling attention, most of it is explained through this paragraph. I think that this TOC has a very good chance of being my main TOC page.


Mockup 2:


This TOC page is a little different in terms of how it is displayed to the audience. This is not a specific science convention for magazines, but rather a more modern way to reach out to today's society. Since most people do not give enough time to things that seem to take their time, this gives them something more, seemingly because the picture has to be the best for a great outcome. Since the picture is part of most of the TOC page, this requires the image to look perfect, to not have any problems in any form.

The title was something different, which also played into the modern look for the TOC page. This is, obviously the title, which many people might see only to find closure for the magazine. One word is displayed over three lines, which exerts a more calm sensation to the audience who may or not be familiar with the topic. The title is not, though modern-looking, the main takeaway from this TOC page. The image, for this specific layout and design, had to be perfect in which had to be edited and taken to perfection. In this specific image, the weeds are shown green, showing that they take over a vast majority of the area, giving the reader a hint as to what is going on in the image. 



Conclusion: I feel like both of these images could be really great to have in my magazine, since both are made by me and my thought process, which made me have both of these mockups here. Since one of these mockups isn't technically part of the scientific conventions of magazines, it might factor into my decision on whether or not I choose it as my final TOC.



Comments

Popular Posts