"Planning the 2-pg Spread Layout"

 In the previous blog, I explained the conventions of science magazine 2-page spreads, and now I will be showing some of my own drafts that I have created for my final spread. I have created two that are strictly by the science conventions, and one that breaks the rules a bit because of the modern effect it has infused in it. In the end, I will pick my final draft and try to create it into an actual two-page spread.

Draft 1:



This is the first draft that I made to strictly mimic the actual science 2-page spreads, giving the image many attributes of a real science spread. Something important about science spreads is the relation of the images to text. The image in science magazines should usually be large enough to give a good description of what is going on to the audience, and not be too big to divert and overwhelm the reader. I kept the image for the spread on one side of the page, and also lept in only three-quarters of the page so that it would still be large enough to create a meaningful impact on the reader. The other side of the page was strictly text, which consisted of columns. Columns are used in almost every magazine regardless of the genre so I thought it would be good to incorporate that into my draft as well. I also had the text be set into small paragraphs, which is also another technique used in almost every magazine spread to look aesthetically pleasing. I had another technique used at the top of the magazine pages, where on the left side, I named the magazine's name. This is not a convention for all magazines,  but in science magazine spreads, I saw this method being used a lot and therefore incorporated it into my own workings too. I researched about this method and found out that it basically gave a professional sense to the reader to know who they should refer to in case they want to point something out in the magazine. I also did add a pull quote, which is a general convention of the magazine, and decided to put it here, even though it is not explicitly a science spread convention. I but it here because first, It would cause no harm being a general convention, and second, it would be better for my convention in its own way. so that it would give reliability to the reader to know who they can refer to on a specific statement. It also looks pleasing and still leaves space for plenty of text, so I decided there would be no harm in adding this feature, and therefore not breaking any rules. Another thing I saw was that in other 2-page spreads, the author's name is usually above the article, which did not fill out in science spread. In science spreads, the author's name appears italicized at the end of the article to have the readers know after reading the article to know who the author is, probably to have an unbiased view of the information given. This is my first draft which will have a great chance of being my final choice.

Draft 2:

This is the second draft that I made that was still according to science spread conventions. I instead this time had the image take up one full page, and kept it this way because it gave a different look to the audience. The rest of the attributes, though, are the same as the first one, so this is my second draft for a 2-page spread.

Draft 3:



This is my last draft which is the one that broke the rules, but I still drew. This spread has a modern look to it and I thought it would be beneficial with the new and upcoming generations. I kept the title vertical on the left side of the page because I saw many other modern and appealing magazines have this attribute, so I continued into adding this for my own spread. The image also comes on two pages, which as I have seen is fine in science magazines, but is not altogether recommended. This is also another modern effect I added to make the magazine seem more appealing to youngsters. The author's name, lastly, also is on the top of the articles like how I mentioned earlier, is how most modern magazines have it to show who wrote the article. I thought that because I did not have enough evidence to claim that writing the author's name on the top shouldn't be used in science spreads, I decided it wouldn't be too drastic If I add this new modern effect. This is my final draft which also breaks the rules.


All of these drafts were hand-drawn by me, and honestly, I think that draft 2 will make the cut to be the final 2-page spread that I use in the end. All of these spreads are perfectly normal, even though one of them breaks the rules.

Comments

Popular Posts